ADVICE TO APPLICANTS
Thank you for your interest in working with us. We think you will find our approach to hospitality to be different from that of most other operators and we think this is the secret of our success. Our company has several significant goals:
1. TO EARN A REPUTATION AS THE BEST EMPLOYER IN DETROIT
We will hire the most qualified people we can find. We will support their development. We will talk with them, learn from them, pay them fairly and demand a lot from each of them. We believe that only a happy and professional staff can give the level of personal service we demand. We see an investment in people to be a worthy investment in the future of the company. Service is an elite profession.
2. TO OPERATE THE MOST SUCCESSFUL RESTAURANT IN DETROIT
Our restaurant will be exciting, diverse and profitable. We will foster high professional standards. We will find out what our guests want and be sure they are getting it. We will maintain rigid sanitation standards. We will address the nutritional concerns of our guests. We will constantly re-examine our operations to stay fresh and responsive to our market while being stimulating to our staff. Classic American Cuisine is our Culinary Passion
3. TO BE A GOOD CITIZEN
We will support and participate in worthy community projects and maintain a highly visual leadership role in local activities. We celebrate contribution.
4. TO MAKE A PROFIT
We recognize that the basis for personal and professional growth is opportunity. Our mutual profitability is key to the creation of that opportunity. We Prosper
5. TO PROVIDE A MEMORABLE EXPERIENCE
We recognize that people go out to eat because they are looking for a great time, not just a good meal. They choose The Whitney not just for food and service, but for a truly unique ambiance. We will build fun and enthusiasm in our company in the interest of our collective success and peace of mind. We Sparkle.
This letter will give you some ideas of what to expect and how to proceed from here:
1. If you are not able to complete your application online, feel free to print and mail to The Whitney. Be sure to fill it out completely, even if you are attaching a resume, we are in a detail oriented business and will only consider candidates who share our concern for the “small stuff”.
2. We will verify all information you give us on the applications. Any false or misleading statements will disqualify you from consideration. We are not as concerned with what you tell us as we are that you tell us the truth. Honesty is always the best policy, especially if you hope to become part of our team.
3. We are committed to maintaining a drug-free workplace. This means that we do not tolerate the possession of drugs or alcohol on the premises nor do we permit our staff to work under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
4. We believe that smoking does not contribute to our success. This means that there are no breaks during peak meal periods and that smokers are not entitled to a “smoker’s break” at any time. We work hard to provide an experience that accounts for all the senses the smell of cigarette smoke does not contribute to the ambiance.
5. We will verify your references. If we cannot check your references, we cannot consider you for employment, so be sure to list valid names and phone #s. It does not matter if they still work for your old company or not. Please be sure that everyone you list knows to expect a call from us and has your permission to talk with us. It may require some work on your part, but, then, it takes a little extra effort to succeed in this business!
6. On the last page, we give you an opportunity to make a personal “sales pitch”. Give it some thought and present a case for yourself. After all, if you don’t believe in you, why should we?
7. Read and understand the final statement carefully before you submit your application. Your submission verifies your understanding.
8. We will send you an email verifying receipt of your application. After checking past references, we will call qualified candidates for an interview. Please do not call the restaurant to check on the status of your application. We will call qualified candidates when positions are available. .
9. We are an equal opportunity employer and we will select only qualified applicants for every position. Period. We will not discourage you from applying for any position for which you feel you are qualified. We will make selections based on what strengths you bring to our team and how you fit into our operating style. We are looking for people committed to professional excellence and legendary guest service who will make a positive contribution to our company for as long as we choose to work together.
10. We expect you to take an active role in your own success and the success of your co-workers. It will be part of your job responsibilities to help train your co-workers for positions of higher skill and responsibility.
11. We will regularly evaluate your performance so you know where you stand and how you are doing. The purpose is to assist with your personal and professional development. We will also ask that you evaluate the effectiveness of your leaders, which will become a part of their performance appraisal. We do not keep secrets from each other or ignore unproductive behavior.
Thank you again for your interest and your time. We wish you all the luck in the future, whatever direction your career may take you.
The Whitney is an Equal Opportunity Employer Job Application